Goodbye, America!

The last couple of weeks before I left the country went in a giant blur. I spent a lot of time with friends, including getting to reconnect with some amazing old ones. I can’t even begin to describe how wonderful the last few weeks were, but of course I’m going to try anyway.

A week before I left for Germany, I had to make a last trip back up to Arkansas to finish up all of the “fun adult responsibilities”. I dragged a friend along for the ride and we got to experience some of my favorite local food establishments (you can’t go wrong with mexican, hawaiian, and greek food- ever). Of course you can’t get the full Fayetteville experience without a little trip down Dickson St, so Friday night was all about friends and a few drinks. I’m so thankful for the people that came out that weekend- they made a trip I was dreading into one full of laughter and good memories.


Confession time: I’ve kinda turned into a video game nerd. Not just any video game, but Diablo 3. I don’t know what it is, but going on huge demon-killing sprees is one of the best stress relievers I’ve ever found. Luckily, a few of my Tyler friends are even bigger nerds than me, so I’m fairly certain we spent more hours playing that game than I’d ever care to admit. We’ve always been like a giant family, so we made fun of each other (in the most loving way possible, of course), gave each other advice, and really just listened when somebody needed to talk. If I were ever to have a group of guy friends that I could call “my boys”, these three would be it. Combined, they know all the bad and annoying things about me and love me anyway. What else could a girl want? The night before I left, they had a little going away party for me. That final goodbye was the most perfect thing I could have asked for, so thank you from the bottom of my heart.



As my time in the states started to come to a close, the nerves started to hit. Questions of if the family would like me, if I would learn the language without much difficulty, and if I would make it a year just kept running over and over in my head. By Thursday (leaving day), I was running on almost no sleep and an entire body full of caffeine. My parents and I left for Dallas in the late afternoon and I was in the airport by 6pm. I spent the next two hours calling many of my friends in order to get one last goodbye in.

If I find some more time to write soon, be expecting to hear about my plane trip and the weekend of exploration that followed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s